Government to launch new scheme Free Treatment for Hepatitis C
Under the new initiative taken by the Health Ministry, it has announced that a national wide program for regulating the Hepatitis C viral infection will be organized. The Ministry has also made it very clear that the government has already approved the budget for organizing and implementing the health program nationwide.
According to the health experts the condition is believed to be affecting over 1.2 crore people within the country every year. This figure has outnumbered six times the total number of people suffering from HIV or AIDS condition.
- Under the new initiative the government aims at screening few number of affected patients who had been performed with blood transfusion of surgery prior to 2002.
- The government will also collect similar data from states of Punjab and Haryana where the heath experts have been providing patients with Hepatitis C medicines.
- The government has also approached the manufacturing company Sofosbuvir that is a company that manufactures this drug for America. The government aims at negotiating with the company to make the drug available for lower price for Indian markets.
- As per current data available, the state of Punjab had earlier negotiated for this drug with the same company for around Rs 7000 for entire course of treatment per patient.
- The government is also aiming to help make the drug available in the Indian market for as low as Rs 5000 that shall be covered by the government itself for the treatment. This will offer benefits to the patients as they will not have to pay any money for the treatment.
Causes of Hepatitis C
- The condition is believed to be caused on account of infection by a virus that is blood borne. The virus attacks the liver of an individual and is easily transmitted via a number of ways including unsafe injections, intravenous drugs, blood transfusion and unsafe health care.
- The condition is not transmitted from one individual to another by means of sexual activities as compared to Hepatitis B condition. Presently according to health experts the medical science has not yet developed any vaccine for curing this condition.
- The condition is also believed to affect over 399000 world population on an annual basis leading to death on account of liver cancer or infection.
- According to latest updates collected the Health Ministry has already allocated a set budget of Rs 600 crore that will be implemented within the fiscal year 2018-19 for regulating and controlling the condition effectively.
- The Ministry has also stated that the entire process of implementation will be conducted within the time period of next three years.
The new initiative has been taken by the Indian Government after looking at the over all number of people who are affected from this condition every year. As more number of people affected from this condition belong to low income group so the government aims at providing them with free of cost treatment.
Other Schemes –
- Cow Shelter Village Scheme in Maharashtra
- Commercial rental income above Rs 20 lakh will attract GST