World’s Largest Rail Tunnel (Gotthard Base Tunnel, 57KM) Switzerland
The much awaited Gotthard Base Tunnel has finally opened on 1st June, 2016, Wednesday. The 57 Kilo meters long railway tunnel, Gotthard Base Tunnel, has broken the record of Japan Seikan Railway Tunnel which is 53.9 kilo meters long. From 1st June 2016 onwards the GBT becomes world’s largest railway tunnel. The tunnel runs through the Alps, Switzerland.
Gotthard Base Tunnel Description
- The tunnel is 57 kilo meters long, but if you include the cross passages, tubes and such then the length of the tunnel is nearly 152 kilo meters.
- The total of 152 kilo meters of rail channel runs through the Alps Mountain.
- The construction work has been started in 1999 and finished in this year that is 2016. So the construction of the tunnel took long 17 years to complete and ready to use.
- There will be more than 250 freight trains and 65 passenger trains will be travelling through the tunnel every day.
- The name of the tunnel was given after the Gotthard and also Gotthard Pass.
- The speed of each train will be almost 200 kilo meters per hour as per the railway department of Switzerland.
Gotthard Base Tunnel – what to expect
The tunnel is made for the people who want to save time while travelling. It is said that travelling through this tunnel cn cut down your travel time by a high percentage. But on the other people who love to taste the beauty of the nature will not be very happy with the tunnel.
As mentioned those 65 passenger trains and 260 freight trains will travel at a speed of 200 km per hour, people who are travelling from Zurich to Milan for work can save at least an hour by this journey. On the inauguration day more than 1200 people will be gathered and 500 people will get free tickets to experience this extra ordinary journey through the Alps Mountain.
Gotthard Base Tunnel – advantage and Disadvantage
The GBT is definitely a boon for the traveller as it reduces journey time hugely. On an average you will save 45 minutes from your each journey. The traffic of heavy vehicles, road blocks and such incidents will not be occurred here.
On the other, if you are a nature lover then this journey will not be worth the money you’re spending as you won’t be able to see the nature while travelling through the tunnel.
Gotthard Base Tunnel – things to know
- For the first time the idea of this tunnel was penned by Carl Eduard Gruner in 1947.
- After long 69 years finally the tunnel has opened for the ordinary people.
- The cost of this entire tunnel is nearly $12 billion.
Gotthard Base Tunnel – at a glance
|Things to know||About GBT|
|Length of the tunnel||57 Kilo meters|
|First sketched by||Carl Eduard Gruner in 1947|
|Time taken to made||17 years|
|Opened in||1st June 2016|
|Trains to travel||260 freight and 65 passenger trains|
|Speed limit||200 kilo meters per hour|
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Bihar Student Credit Card Loan Scheme | How to Apply | Application Form - October 7, 2016
- Top 5 Places to Avoid Using or Swiping Your Debit Card - October 3, 2016
- Akbar the Great TV Old Doordarshan Serial - September 24, 2016