Out of the three new single copy Challans which were being introduced in the year 2004, one common single copy Challan is Challan No 281. It is usedfor putting down tax taken at source from corporates as well as non-corporates.
One can easily find Challan No 281 at the Income Tax Department’s official website which is www.incometaxindia.gov.in
It is accessible at the Income tax office and also available with private dealers.
What is so distinct about getting it online?
- One doesn’t need to fill forms and cheques. It keeps back one from long procedure dealings and also saves time.
- A payment made through cheque takes more time than an online transfer of money. This may lead to fine for late payment. So, one can avoid fine by making an online payment.
- It is so simple that doesn’t take more than 5 to 10 minutes.
- One can make a payment any time. The NSDL web site lets to make a payment by 24X7. However, few banks have fixed time.
- One can also pay from someone else’s net banking account.
ü All you need to do to get a Challan No 281 online is to visit https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp
ü Click on “CHALLAN NO./ITNS 281″
Let’s find how to pay it online.
ü Once you have the Challan No 281 form, fill the required fields
ü If you need to pay TDS for company, select (0020) COMPANY DEDUCTEES
- Select (0021) NON-COMPANY DEDUCTEES if it’s for Non-Company
ü Feed in your company’s 10 digit TAN number.
ü Then select the Assessment Year
- For e.g. if you’re paying TDS for the financial year 2012-13 then select this filed as 2013-14
ü Feed in your company’s city, PIN and select the state
ü Select type of Payment as “(200) TDS/TCS Payable by Taxpayer”
ü Then select nature of payment
ü If you’re paying TDS for Contractors, select 94C – Payment of contractors and sub-contractors
o If it’s for Rent, select 94I – Rent
ü Then select name of your bank
ü Enter the letters show in the image.
ü Click on “Proceed”
ü Now enter the basic tax etc.
ü Enter the net banking user name & password and follow the further steps as required by your bank
ü Once completed the e-payment, you will get a Challan Identification Number. It’s called CIN in short. You will need it when file your returns.