Uber Self-driven car in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh will witness the first public self-driven car launched by Uber now. Major companies like Google, Tesla and Apple were planning to launch the same since long time. But before these biggies could do anything, Uber has launched first public autonomous public cab in Pittsburgh that has already started its journey. Recently couple of journalists from two leading newspapers have experienced the ride in self-driven car in Pittsburgh recently. There are only 4 cars as of now that will hit the roads of Pittsburgh. There will be other cars as well from Uber other than self-driven cars.
Uber Self-driven car in Pittsburgh
Uber recently has gone to couple of contracts with companies like Swedish car maker and on the other Otto Company for driverless Volvo and trucks. The company seems to leave no stone unturned to make the public cabs self-driven. Though the company has only launched 4 vehicles at this moment but they are planning to launch the entire self-driven cars within the year 2021.
The company has recently made a contract of $300 million and $680 million for launching Volvo cars and Trucks that will completely be self-driven. The cars that are at this moment hit the streets of Pittsburgh have driving seats as well where the drivers can drive the cars as well.
Uber Self-driven car – Facilities / Features
- One will see a Ford Fusion Model on the streets as self-driven public cabs from Uber. These Sedan class cars are highly equipped with modern technology that helps the car to be self-driven.
- These cars are having two front seats where one is a driving seat. If by any chance the car fails in self-driving, the fellow sitting on the driving seat can steer it well.
- GPS, 3D camera and a new technology called Lidar will be there in the car. Lidar is one such technology in which the person sitting on the driving seat can be able to see the nearest object, its size and also the distance of the object. Lidar is a camera that is set on the roof of the car.
- The company is also planning to launch SUVs soon if these cabs get good feedbacks from the public. Though the streets of Pittsburgh are seeing general cabs as well now but soon the company will make the city driverless, as per the sources.
Uber Self-driven car – verdict
Recently two journalists have taken the ride in self-driven cars from Uber. One is satisfied with the feature that switches between self-driven and driver mode quickly by pressing a button. On the other the other one was impressed with the pre-installed maps that will let the driver know how much speed should be there in each road. The cars are as of now quite impressive for the riders.
Other self-driven car companies
Biggies like Google, Apple and Tesla who were planning for self-driven cars since a long time. Unfortunately neither could make anything plausible before Uber. Google and Tesla had some security issues while Mercedes Benz, Infiniti and BMW are still in trial phase.
|Number of cars||4|
|Car type||Ford Fusion|
|Features||3D Camera, Lidar, GPS, pre-installed maps, speed controller, self-driven to driver mode switch|
|Future plans||Self-driven Volvo SUVs and Trucks|
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Bihar Student Credit Card Loan Scheme | How to Apply | Application Form - October 7, 2016
- Top 5 Places to Avoid Using or Swiping Your Debit Card - October 3, 2016
- Akbar the Great TV Old Doordarshan Serial - September 24, 2016