Steps for Online Status Check of NPR Smart Card
In case you are looking for steps for online status-check of NPR card, you are already aware of what it is and what purpose it serves. However, those who are not aware of NPR, we will start with a small introduction to NPR and finally end with steps for checking NPR card status online.
What is NPR?
NPR stands for National Population Register. Simply put, it is nothing but a database where the details of every usual citizen of India is recorded. The NPR is created at all levels that include:
NPR is designed to work as an identification document complete with several information about each individual.
Every individual citizen of India needs to hold the NPR card. This is a mandate under Citizenship Rules and Citizenship Act of 2003 and 1955 respectively.
Some of the cited benefits of NPR card are:
- It will work as a unique identifier for a person. It is not a citizenship identifier.
- It will work as a preventive measure in case of identity fraud.
- It will help in effective distribution of government issued schemes and benefits targeted towards Indian citizens.
Apart from usual document verification process, NPR database will also have:
- Iris prints for both eyes of all individuals.
- Fingerprints for all 10 fingers of each individual.
What kind of information will be present on NPR database?
A typical NPR card will contain the following information:
- Person’s name.
- Relationship between the person and the head of the family.
- Person’s mother’s name.
- Person’s father’s name.
- Person’s spouse’s name in case he or she is married.
- Person’s marital status.
- Person’s gender.
- Person’s birth date.
- Person’s birth place.
- Person’s nationality (Indian or otherwise).
- Person’s current residence address.
- Duration for which the person is currently staying in the current address.
- Person’s permanent residence address.
- Person’s occupation.
- Person’s education qualification.
- Person’s photograph.
- Person’s Iris prints and finger prints (applicable only for those who are above the age of 5).
Once all these data are collected and necessary corrections made, the data will be put through de-duplication process using the biometric information. Then the final data is used for issuance of a unique Identification number known as Aadhar Number. Unique Identification Authority of India, usually abbreviated as UIDAI is responsible for issuing Aadhar Card.
NPR register has a complete list of all locations. Only the residents of coastal villages of the nation that are listed in NPR register are entitled to get Resident Identity Cards for now. However, a proposal is already under consideration that every Indian usual resident of 18 years of age or above should be issued a Resident Identity Card, which is actually a smart card with an electronic chip having 64kb storage capacity. The chip contains biometric and demographic data.
So, what are the steps for online status-check of NPR card?
Essentially, what you will checking for is your Aadhar Card status and not your NPR card (or the Resident Identity Card). Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Visit this website of National Population Register. At the bottom of the page you will see UIDAI link. Click on it. Alternately, simply click on this link to visit UIDAI website directly.
- Click on the button which reads, ‘Check Aadhar Status’. Clicking on the button will take you to this page where you need to input some information.
- A 14-digit number known as enrolment number was provided to you while enrolling for Aadhar Card or NPR. This number is located on the acknowledgement slip that you received during enrolment. Locate the number and enter it in the specific field.
- The acknowledgement slip will also contain the exact date and time for enrolment. You need to enroll those details as well in the specified format. The required format is mentioned right below the input field.
- Finally, enter the security code that you see in the captcha image.
- Hit the ‘Check Status’ button and wait to see the status of your NPR card or Aadhar card.