Skill India Program – Objectives, Features and Advantages
The NaMo government has become quite famous for launching a number of social alleviation programs across the country. First among them was ‘Digital India’ and then ‘Make in India’. Now, government has come up with Skill India Program, which would work on the overall skill development of people in India. This is not actually a new plan but a revision of several skill development programs launched earlier.
The program has been officially launched in March 2015. Just like every other programs of NaMo government, Skill India Program too is said to be a dream project of PM Narendra Modi.
Objectives of Skill India Program
The primary goal of Skill India Program is to create scope, space and opportunities for overall development of talent among Indian youth and augment a sustainable development of the India economy through active participation.
According to the program, more than 5 hundred million youths in India are going to be benefited with the launch of this campaign and completion by next 16 years. This program would cover each and every village of the country, thus impacting the nation as a whole.
Features of Skill India Program
- The objective of Skill India Program is to provide skill training to youths in order for them to get employment through those skills and also help them their skills in small scale entrepreneurship.
- The program would also provide guidance, support and training pertaining to many occupations
- There are certain additional areas apart from the traditional ones that would be laid emphasis on many sectors to boost economy.
- The module of the training programs would be at par with the international standards so as to enable youths to compete with their international counterparts and not only get jobs in India but in developed nations like Russia, Germany, China, Japan, USA and West Asia.
- A hallmark would also serve the program with the name of ‘Rural India Skill’, which would be quite a remarkable feature of Skill India Program. This way, the youths would be getting relevant standardizations and certifications of the trainings they attend.
- There would also be some tailor made and need based training programs that would cater to specific industries or specific job profile
- Innovation is something that would define the course methodology of skill Indian program. It would involve activity learning through case studies, practical experience sharing, brainstorming sessions, group discussions, games, etc.
How is Skill India Program different from previous skill development policies?
Skill development programs are already running in large numbers in India and there are several institutes which are dedicatedly working since independence in India. It’s only that the new Skill Indian Program would focus on contemporary issues of skill development in India.
This could be perceived in the manner that since this is a new government, it also wants to development the country in its own new ways and thus this skill India Program is being launched. In previous schemes, the priority of skill development was on traditional jobs.
With changing times, the need for skill has also changed and thus the new skills could only be development in youths keeping in mind the new requirements.
Moreover, skill development was not a part of just one ministry but a responsibility of various respective industries and thus the focus was not taken forward so effectively. This time, the new ministry of skill development would be ensuring that proper methods and methodologies are carried out in order to prepare the youths for the job requirements demanding specific and contemporary skills. From time to time, this ministry would be improving their modules so that youths meet the changing demands.
If you go by what the Prime Minister himself has to say, Skill India Program is not just a program but is a movement in itself. Value addition would be given to youths who are jobless irrespective of their background so that they get to compete with the rising standards of various industries.
The ministry concerned would be responsible for issuing necessary certifications to the successful trainees so that they use those certificates to get better paying jobs not just in India but in other developed countries as well. The employers who would be absorbing this new skilled population would be both from public as well as private sector and both international as well as national employers.
What are the advantages of Skill India Program?
There are three main focuses of Skill India Program:
- Provide a systematic path with focused and Skill Approached
- Raise confidence of the new lot of youth
- Improve productivity through skilled implementation
Today, the youth of our country is running after blue collared jobs both in domestic as well as international market. The Skill India Program would help them achieve their dreams by engaging them in relevant and contemporary job skill trainings.
As per the Prime Minister, a balanced approach should be given to all sections of industries and services. Skill India Program would ensure that all sectors engaged in development of the national infrastructure are getting the best possible skilled labor and thus contribute towards the larger growth of Indian economy.
Skill India would not only be restricted to urban areas and towns but would penetrate deep into the rural areas because that is where the bigger gap lies. It would help to bring the rural youth to the mainstream development process and thus improve the human resource that we currently have in India.
The Summary of Skill India Program
To sum it up, only time is going to tell us how Skill India Program is way different from last skill development programs launched by the previous PMs. How it shapes the future of youths in India is a thing that we still need to notice.
However, considering the features of the program and the way the Prime Minister himself is involved in its promotion and implementation, we can surely say that it would pave some better ways for those who are looking for a blue collared job in India or abroad.
In real terms, today’s youths are getting a little disoriented in terms of job due to the rising supply and demand gap. Such skill training measures would only help them have an upper edge and over exceed the expectations of the contemporary employers.