2 Nifty Tricks to Send Audio or Video files Larger than 16 MB through Whatsapp
Whatsapp revolutionized the way we communicate with our friends, family and peers on the go. There is no denying that this smartphone application has become an integral part of our lives, be it our workspace or personal associations! Whether we are looking for group chat or individual communication – Whatsapp stands up to the task. With a multitude of options like blocking users, setting personalized ringtones, creating groups or transferring files, this small application has come a long way since it was first introduced in market. The very fact that it is free for first year of use makes it a go-to application for most of our day-to-day communication needs.
But, we humans have a nature that is ‘too demanding’. We are not satisfied with anything. Whatsapp is no different. When it comes to the ability of transferring audio or video files through Whatsapp that exceeds 16MB in size, we find ourselves frustrated and curse the developers of this application. Whatsapp limits any file size to 16MB max.
So, the question that we often ask is – is there a way that will allow us to send files exceeding 16MB in size using Whatsapp? The answer to this question is: ‘NO’. You have to stick to this 16MB limit because the moment you attach a file that exceeds that limit, you will get an error message flashing on your screen which states: “The media file that you have selected is larger than 16 MB. Unable to send file.”
So, is there a solution to this?
Glad you asked!
There are two possible workarounds, both of which include reducing the file size to 16MB or less. This is how you do that:
1. Using a third-party app
If you have enough memory available in your smartphone, install the application named ‘Video Converter Android 2’. This is the updated version. If your phone is not supporting the latest version, you can download and install ‘Video Converter Android’, which was the original version released by the developers. Available in both Pro and Lite versions, this application will allow you to reduce the size of the media file using lossless compression. To be honest, lossless compression does affect the quality of the audio or video file but the loss of quality is not significant. So, you won’t really notice much difference between the original and compressed files.
Using the Pro Version:
Once the application is installed follow the following steps to reduce file size:
- Open application interface.
- Select your desired media file.
- Specify the type of output you want. Simply put, specify the file format for the output. You will have a number of options to select from.
- Specify the output file size when asked for.
- Specify the location where you desire the resulting output to be stored.
- Tap of ‘Start’ button and wait until the action is completed.
Using the Lite Version:
This version is slightly annoying because of the following reasons:
- Its interface has annoying flashing ads.
- Many options are not available and in order to use them, you need to upgrade to Premium or Pro version.
It will however still allow you to reduce the media file size. The only problem will be that you cannot set the desired file size. You need to work around with other available options. Here is how the Lite version can be used:
- Open the application interface.
- Browse and tap to select the file you want.
- A popup will open up showing a list of available actions. Select ‘Convert’.
- On the next screen select ‘Manual’ from Profile field dropdown.
- Select the location where you want the output file to be stored.
- In the Container dropdown field, select the extension you want. Only .3gp and .mp4 are available for the Lite version. Select .3gp.
- Under Video Settings tab in Codec dropdown field, use MPEG-4 (Fast, Quality good) option.
- In Resolution dropdown field, select 480×360, which is standard for most videos viewed on mobile devices.
- Under Audio Settings tab in Mode dropdown field, select ‘Specify Quality’.
- In Quality dropdown field, select ‘Medium’. You may use ‘High’ or ‘Excellent’ but that is going to increase the output file size.
- For Rate and Channel dropdown fields, keep ‘Auto Select’.
When all settings are specified, tap on the circular icon on the top of the screen and wait. You can see the icon in the notification bar. Swipe down the notification bar to see the progress and the estimated time left for action to be completed.
Important! Because the Lite version of the application will not allow you to specify the file size, you may end up with a file that exceeds 16MB even after conversion. If that happens, you may have to redo the whole thing and reset the Resolution dropdown fieldto lower resolution and the Quality dropdown fieldto ‘Low’.
2. Using Whatsapp’s built-in videosplitting option
This application will work only if you have the latest version of Whatsapp. If your smartphone is not allowing updates either because support has been stopped by the manufacturer or because there isn’t enough built-in memory left, you are out of luck!
Assuming that you have the latest version of Whatsapp installed, all you have to do is to select the video file you want to share on the chat window. If the file size is greater than 16MB, Whatsapp will automatically open the video editor popup.
The whole video will be split into smaller parts (shown in form of a strip) of 16MB each with a blue marker slider highlighting the first part. You can send each part individually. Multiple parts cannot be sent at once. If you want to send the second part, you will have to open the original video again and move the blue marker slider to the second part and send. You can continue doing this until you have sent the whole video in parts.
So, the question that still lingers: ‘which one is better?’
This depends on you. If you are okay with slight loss in quality and change in video or audio format, the first option is better because you can send the whole file at once. Alternately, if you want to retain the actual quality, the second option is better. You need to make a call depending on your preferences and needs!
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Bihar Student Credit Card Loan Scheme | How to Apply | Application Form - October 7, 2016
- Top 5 Places to Avoid Using or Swiping Your Debit Card - October 3, 2016
- Akbar the Great TV Old Doordarshan Serial - September 24, 2016