What to do if passport is lost in India?
Passport is the most desirable document in India for proving identity of an individual. It can be used anywhere in the world for identity purpose, not to talk about India alone. A passport is a verification document for age, residence and identity.
However, there could be a situation wherein your passport is lost accidently. This would certainly be a panic situation for you and in the first place you would not know what you need to do. In this article, we would talk about what you are required to do if you have lost your passport in India and how you can apply for a new passport altogether.
Try to find out your passport number or details
In the first place, you should try to find out any photocopy of your passport that you may have kept in hard or soft copy anywhere. That would help you reapply for the duplicate passport. You can check this in your email box since most of the times we keep a scanned copy of documents in our mailboxes.
Report the Passport loss immediately
If you have lost your passport, the first thing you should do is to report the loss of your passport to the nearest police station in writing and keep a copy of the report for future relevance. The report for loss of passport can only be lodged by visiting the police station physically and no such online facility is available. Make sure the report you have prepared carries all the relevant details like your name, date of birth and correspondence address.
Apply for a duplicate passport in India
Applying for a duplicate passport takes time, however, it is a less tiresome thing than applying for a new passport altogether. While you are applying for a duplicate passport online, you should make sure that the ‘service desired’ field should mention ‘new passport in lieu of damaged/lost passport’.
The process of Duplicate Passport Application
In normal cases the application for a duplicate passport has to be submitted to the passport office in person. If you can’t spare time for this yourself, you can hire a passport agent who would do all the legwork and paperwork for you.
In case of application to be accepted through mail, a special prior approval has to be sought from the Consular Office. This kind of approval is only granted in cases when the applicant is living quite far away from the Consulate Area.
It is noteworthy to mention here that a duplicate passport can only be issued for the first loss of passport. It is not issued for the second loss or damage. If someone complains or reapplies for passport several times, there could be an enquiry initiated against him/her.
Documents required for applying for Duplicate Passport
There are a number of documents that would be required if you are applying for a duplicate passport. The list includes:
- Three recent photographs of the applicants. In case of those residing in abroad, they need to attach 7 additional photographs.
- A proof of identity of India would be required. That could be anything among Driving Licence, Ration Card, PAN Card, Voters Card, etc.
- A certificate of Birth of proof of age would be required.
- A proof of address would also be required from the applicant.
- For those NRIs living abroad, they would have to submit a notarized affidavit of at least two Indian Passport holders who are residing in USA.
This is all. If you have lost your passport in Indian, you should not really panic. The process of getting a duplicate passport is a little lengthy, however, the system has improved from the earlier process and getting a duplicate passport is no more a tedious job.
Other Important Articles
- How can we get Duplicate BSNL Bill
- How Can we Get Duplicate BSES Bill
- How Can we Get Duplicate BESCOM Bill
- How Can we get Duplicate Aadhar Card
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Aadhar Payments App (BHIM) Download and Other Info - January 6, 2017
- 7 Nischay Arthik Hal Yuwaon Bal - January 4, 2017
- A brief about CM Startup Scheme in Himachal Pradesh - December 31, 2016