112 is National emergency number for India for all situations
The government of India has recently announced that 112 will be the nation emergency number of India. This initiative has been approved by the inter-ministerial telecom commission of India and they have said that the once Telecom Minister, Ravi Shankar, approves on it, the number will be rolled out within few months.
So once the national emergency number is rolled out, the citizens of India have to just dial 112 for any help that they need, in case of emergency. The need for a single emergency number had been proposed long back but then due to some problem or the other, the process had been delayed. But now the proposal has been accepted and will be soon processed.
Till date India has several emergency numbers and each number was used for various purposes such as-
|S.No||Emergency Numbers of INDIA||Notes|
|1||100||Only for police emergency|
|2||101||Only for Emergency Medical Ambulance Service|
|3||102||Only for Fire Related Emergency|
|4||108||Number allotted for Emergency Disaster Management|
|5||181||Emergency Women’s Helpline throughout INDIA|
|6||1097||Helpline number for those who suffer by AIDS|
|7||1098||Emergency Line for Reporting Child Abuse|
|8||9540161344||Only For Attaining Air Ambulance Service|
Dial 112 for all emergencies
Once the 112 number is rolled out and is made active, people in India need not dial different numbers for different situations. They can just dial 112 in case of any kind of emergency. Be it for an ambulance, police, disaster management, fire, or any other kind of distress.
The number will replace all the above mentioned and also other existing emergency number, nationwide, and the government will make sure that all the people in India are made aware of this number. But then the existing emergency numbers will be active for at least another one year, until everyone is aware of the new national emergency number.
112 national emergency number features–
- The number is accessible for each and every person in India, even if they do not have any call balance in their mobile and landline phones. Even if the outgoing facility is not available in a person’s phone, he or she will still be able to reach out for emergency by dialing 112.
- One may also SMS to the national emergency number. Also when a person communicates to this number using SMS or call, the location of the person will be tracked immediately and will be given to the help center nearby, for the convenience of the caller.
- This important service will be available in Hindi, English and all other local languages. It will be operated in all the states in a call-center kind of set-up.
- The call or SMS can be made even if the phone is in an area where there is no network coverage. So this is another benefit of this number.
Concept similar to other countries
The Indian national emergency number concept is similar to the emergency numbers in US (911), UK (999), Australia (000 or 112), and few other countries. Even these countries have an all in one emergency numbers which is used by the people of each country.
Activation of the number
The number is said to be activated in a few months. It would take a little time to process it, because the service has to be set up in all the states. Initially the number will involve facilities such as police, fire, and ambulance, helpline for women, senior citizens and children. All other services will be included eventually. But the task is challenging enough but once it is activated, the process of getting help in India will become easy and more systematic. It will be helpful for people who cannot remember so many different numbers for different situations, also the location tracking feature will be very helpful.
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Aadhar Payments App (BHIM) Download and Other Info - January 6, 2017
- 7 Nischay Arthik Hal Yuwaon Bal - January 4, 2017
- A brief about CM Startup Scheme in Himachal Pradesh - December 31, 2016