How to link PAN Card with Aadhar Card For IT Return
Income tax fraud has been a major concern for India for decades. It was observed that many people create fake PAN cards and use the same to avoid paying less than the actual amount of income tax. Over years, the tax earnings of the government dropped significantly and this negatively affected the Indian economy in a number of ways, some of which mentioned below:
- Tax stealing increases international debt of India. As the government runs short of money, it needs to borrow money to undertake development projects like transport, health care, education etc.
- The tax money goes towards paying the salary of armed forces including police. As less money accrues in government treasury, the government fails to properly pay out the salaries of those men who protect us from both internal and external threats.
- Also, stealing tax money significantly reduces the defense budget. The government once again needs to borrow money to keep the country’s defense up-to-date and strong.
- Stealing taxes also means more spendable money in the hands of citizens. When people have more money to spend, they lose interest in work. This significantly dampens the GDP and GNP of the country.
To deal with these situations, the Indian government decided to link the Aadhar Card number with Pan Card. Because it is not possible for a single person to have two different Aadhar Cards and since, one Aadhar Card can link to one and only one PAN Card, it will literally become impossible for people to operate two PAN Cards in order to avoid paying income tax.
So the big question is, how do you link your PAN Card with Aadhar Card?
There are a few simple steps to achieve this.In fact, there are two methods of doing this – Online and Offline. For the offline method, you will need to visit your Income Tax office and have your Aadhar Card and PAN Card linked. This linking will be done by the officials at the IT office. However, if you want to spare yourself the trouble of physically visiting the office and spending a lot of time, you can resort to the online process and do this on your own. All you need to do is to follow the following steps:
- Visit the income tax e-filing portal here and login. If you are not an existing user, you need to register through this link.
- Once you log in, you will automatically receive a pop up screen which will ask for your Aadhar Card number.
- In case the pop up is not shown, you need to visit the ‘profile settings’ section from the main menu.
- In the profile setting section you will find a link called “Aadhar Linked to PAN”. Click on it and you will asked for entering your Aadhar Card number.
It is recommended that you do not enter the Aadhar Card number if the pop up (mentioned in step 2) and use the profile setting to do so. Before you enter your Aadhar number, you must check all your personal details like gender, age, name, date of birth etc. These details should match the details on your Aadhar Card. In case of mismatch, Income Tax Department will cancel your linking application.
Once you have checked all the details and verified that they are identical, you can no proceed with the following remaining steps:
- Enter your Aadhar number.
- You will then be asked to provide your phone number and enter a captcha code.
- Once you have done that, you need to click on the button that reads ‘Link Now’.
The Income Tax Department will validate all the details you provide and once the validation is completed, your Aadhar Card will be linked to your PAN card.
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Aadhar Payments App (BHIM) Download and Other Info - January 6, 2017
- 7 Nischay Arthik Hal Yuwaon Bal - January 4, 2017
- A brief about CM Startup Scheme in Himachal Pradesh - December 31, 2016