Laptop Bhagya Scheme for SC and ST Students
The state government of Karnataka has announced a unique scheme. It is called the “Laptop Bhagya Scheme” because it is expected to alter the fate of the downtrodden sections in the state. Talking about fate, the youth are the future and destiny of a nation and therefore it can be seen why the state government has given main importance to the students via this scheme.
Features of the scheme
- The scheme as already mentioned has been launched only for the backward and downtrodden sections of the society. Hence only SCs and STs can benefit from it.
- Over 36,000 students of this caste will be taking the advantage of this scheme provided they all get themselves enrolled in professional courses.
- So you must take enrollment in engineering, medical, diploma and technical courses such as these in order to benefit from them and avail the free laptops.
- The government is all set to invite tenders from different companies for obtaining the laptops. The funds that lie dormant under special component would be the ones that would be used for this scheme.
- The cost of each laptop would be around Rs. 32,000 to Rs. 35,000 and therefore the fund allocation for this scheme is pretty high – it is Rs. 112 crore at present.
Implementation of the scheme
The implementation of the scheme has taken precedence over other important things and Bangalore University has already started implementing such a scheme. They are already distributing free laptops to the students who are eligible as per the SC and ST criteria.
However, the university is asking to return the laptops once their education is completed, so that in future more students can take advantage of this laptop. But there is a major difference between Bangalore University and Laptop Bhagya Scheme. Under Laptop Bhagya scheme, the laptops will no longer be taken back. They will belong to the owner lifelong once they have been given.
Aim of the scheme
Laptop Bhagya Scheme is definitely a new scheme and one that has been uniquely designed. One has to see why this scheme was put in place. The main objectives of the scheme as per the officials are –
- To encourage education: Education must be encouraged so that the state moves to a higher level in terms of literacy and skilled employment generation. Hence this step was taken.
- Academic growth: With the help of the laptop the student can grow in his or her field and the scheme is therefore aimed to become a tool for the students to grow higher in their educational background.
- To connect with technology: Our government is aiming to take things digital in the very near future and for this purpose it is essential that our new generation is acquainted with the technical aspect of things and this is one of the reasons why the laptops are being given to the students.
- To encourage professional courses: With this scheme more and more students will want to bend towards technical education instead of general courses. Technical courses yield more growth and professional opportunity. Hence in a way it will help in creation of employment. This is also a major reason why the laptops are being distributed among students.
- To bring forth the downtrodden: Mostly the SCs and STs of the underprivileged section do not have any option in front of them other than government jobs and general courses. But this will help them to generate money for their growth in the private sector also. It will also help them gain the knowledge that they need to take on the corporate world.
Eligibility criteria for the scheme
- The student must belong to SC and ST caste – any other category is not applicable.
- They should enroll themselves in state government colleges and should be a resident of the state.
- The student should be a fresher or a first year student.