Kulbhushan Jhadav, the spy caught in Pakistan
It’s sad news for India as, one of its Navy Officer, who was once a RAW intelligence collector has been sentenced to hang till death, by Pakistan. Kulbhushan Jhadhav was an officer of Indian Navy who used to perform intelligence tasks for RAW. He was arrested on 3rd March, 2016 by the Pakistan intelligence agency and faced a court martial on charges of spying. On 10th April, 2017, more than a year after his detention, the Pakistan Military has announced death sentence of for the Naval officer of India. The External Affairs Ministry of India has accepted the fact that he was one of the Indian Navy officers, but has ridiculed all aggregations of him being a spy for the country.
Who is Kulbhushan Jhadav?
He is a 46 years old Indian Navy officer who resided in Mumbai, Maharashtra. He belonged to a police family with his father, retired from the rank of ACP. After joining the NDA in the year 1987, he joined the Indian Navy in the year 1991 in engineering branch. He started collected intelligence data for India after the Indian Parliament came under terrorist attack in 2003. He lived undercover under the name Hussain Mubarak Patel and worked for RAW. After that, he left Indian Navy and moved to Iran for travelling and some personal business.
Arrest of Kulbhushan Jhadav
On 3rd March, 2016, the Pakistani forces arrested and detained Kulbhushan Jhadhav from a place named Chaman which is located in the border region of Pakistan and Iran. It falls under the Baluchistan province. The Pakistani intelligence wing made allegations of spying and conspiracy against him. As per their views, he was in regular contact with the Baloch separatists and was involved in fueling differences between Baluchistan and Pakistan. After he was detained, he was shifted to Islamabad.
The death sentence
After over a year of interrogation and diplomatic and political tussle among Pakistan and Indian government, the death sentence was announced on 10th April, 2017. His proceedings and trials were done through FGCM which follows the Pakistan Army Act. Under it, he was found guilty of espionage and conspiracy against the Pakistan. In a media statement, the Army Chief, Qamar Javed Bajwa declared the death sentence of Kulbhushan Jhadhav.
Some important facts:
- Though Pakistan has claimed that the arrested Indian national was appointed by RAW to spy against the country and made illegal entry to Pakistan. Whereas, Indian govt. has completely denied the allegations, but has accepted the fact that once he was an Indian Navy officer and RAW agent.
- The Indian govt. after his arrest in March, 2016 applied for consular access which was denied by the Pakistan.
- One video footage was released by Pakistan which showed Yadav’s confession of all charges of being appointed as a RAW agent and spying against the country was revealed.
- The Indian External Ministry rejected that video confession of Yadav and accused Pakistan of doctoring and providing fake video.
- As per legal provisions, he was provided with defending officer to fight his trial before the FGCM.