How to trace Email Sender IP Address in Gmail?
Receiving an email from unknown person can be a nightmare many a times, especially if it is a fraud or spam email. And whenever, we receive such an email, we often wonder how to check the authenticity of the sender. Well, the good news is that if you are using a Gmail account, you can now check the IP address of the sender and track them down.
Spam emails are okay and we can simply move them to the trash, however, if the email is a threat email, it certainly needs to be tracked down, either by yourself or through the cops. With such an email, the IP address and location of the sender can be tracked down. This is how you can do it yourself.
- Open any of the emails within your inbox
- Once you select the ‘More’ option on the top, it would show you a list of options from which you have to select the option that says, ‘Show Originals’.
- A new pop window would appear on your screen in which there would be lot of texts. Within those texts, some part would be highlighted, which is relevant for you.
- Within this highlighted part, the first line that says, ‘hormel.redhat.net’ ip=188.8.131.52. This IP address is just for relative example and the IP address in your case may be different.
- With the help of this IP, you can track down the sender of this email.
- To track down an IP Address, you can visit the website http://network-tools.com/ and select the option that says, ‘Trace’
- Once you select on Trace, you can input the IP address in the box below and click on Go.
- In the next window that appears on the screen, the entire route through which the IP is coming from could be tracked.
As you can see that tracking an IP address is quite easy if you are using Gmail. Therefore, next time if you come across a spam or threat email, you know what you need to do. Just track the IP address and if you feel relevant, inform the matter to the cops, if it is too serious.