How to renew your passport online in India?
Passport renewal has been a big challenge for those who want to get it renewed and often requires hiring an agent who could run around and make the process smoother. However, the new facility of online passport renewal is a great initiative by the government and now you don’t have to pay to any agent in order to get your passport renewed.
If your passport is about to expire in near future, you may be worried about its renewal. With this online renewal facility, things would become super easy for you. As a matter of fact, the online passport renewal process is simply the process of applying for a new passport altogether. However, in this case, the time involved is quite lesser as compared to the new passport due to the ease of prior verification available to the authorities.
If you want to renew your passport, you are required to fill out a new passport application form and submit it to the nearby passport office. You are also required to attach a set of documents along with the application form.
Documents required for renewal of passport
- You would have to fill a new passport application form
- Two passport size photographs
- Original old passport. It is advisable to take a printout of the first page of your existing passport. If you are somehow not able to submit the existing passport, you would have to state the reason why you are unable to do it.
- Address proof of the applicant
- Educational qualification certificates and mark sheets of the applicant. The applicant is required to submit a photocopy of the documents and not the original.
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Notary (this would be required only in case of tatkal scheme)
- If applicant is applying under the tatkal scheme, he/she should attach a letter of urgency mentioning why the applicant is applying for a tatkal passport renewal.
Police Verification Process
Once the application form along with relevant documents are submitted at the passport office, it is followed by the police verification in the respective area where the applicant resides. All the details and documents are sent to the respective police station for the department to physically go and verify the credentials of the applicant.
During the process, a police constable is assigned to visit your house physically and verify if you are currently living at that location or not. This is the reason why it is always advisable to be present at your home for police verification.
Once the police constable verifies that you are living at the same location as mentioned in your application form, the police station would send back your verified status to the passport office along with a verification certificate. By this time, you should rest assured that you have reached half the journey of your passport renewal.
Change of name in passport
A lot of times, people would want to change their name in the passport. Passport one of the most important documents that any Indian national should have. It is required and recognized at any place for proof of your identity and proof of you residence along with your age proof. Thus it is important that it should showcase the same name that you are using or would want to use.
In most of the families, the last or middle name of the girl changes after marriage. If her passport was made before her marriage, she would like to change the name in her passport to the current name. For change of name in the passport, few documents are required along with the marriage certificate of the applicant.
If someone wants to change their name in passport without any specific reason, they should specifically write in their application form that they want the name change to happen without any specific reason. There is an option of name change in the application form, which you should check-box if you want to apply for a name change.
Fee and Mode of Payment for Renewal of Passport in India
- The fee for online renewal of passport and applying for a 36 page passport is currently Rs 1,000
- The fee for online renewal of passport and applying for a 60 page passport is currently Rs 1,500
- There is an additional fee of Rs 1,500 in cases where the renewal is requested on a Tatkal basis.
You can pay the fee for online renewal of passport through two modes. You can choose to pay the free through cash at the respective passport office cash counter. Or you can get a demand draft created and deposit it through the application form.
One the entire process is completed and verification certificate sent to the passport office from the concerned police station, the passport is delivered through speed post to the current address of the applicant, which is same at the one mentioned in the application form.