How can we check MNP status?
MNP or mobile number portability is a unique service that was launched back in 2008 with the 4 metro cities of India being the privileged ones to be the part of pilot test. Under this service, users of mobile phones can easily move from one operator to another without the need for changing the existing mobile number.
Let us explain with a quick example:
We assume that you have an Airtel number, say 99030-XXXXX and you are somehow not happy with Airtel’s services. May be, you face the serious issue of network drop or unexplained tariff deductions. This is when you may want to move to a new operator, let us say, Vodafone. However, you simply love the number because of several reasons:
- It is easy to remember.
- It is your primary contact number for your business or office.
- You may consider it as your lucky number.
- You may have some kind of emotional attachment with this number.
- You may have used this number to register for all necessary services like Aadhar Card, Banking, LPG Connection, Life Insurance Policy, Financial Investment and Income Tax Filing etc.
Changing the number can be one big hassle. You will have to manually update the number everywhere. This is not only time consuming but chances are high that you accidentally miss out one service. This is where MNP or mobile number portability comes in handy.
With MNP you can retain the same number (that is, 99030-XXXXX) and just switch from Airtel to Vodafone. This will eliminate the need for manual updating of the number everywhere.
Porting a mobile number from one operator to another involves some specific steps. We are going to skip that part because if you are looking for the method of checking MNP status, you already know what to do and you have actually done that!
So, when you applied for porting, you must have received to a code known as UPC code. This code is sent to your mobile number through an SMS. You need to keep that handy.
Now follow the following steps to check your MNP status:
- Head over to the MNP status-check page here.
- In the small form you see, enter your mobile number (that you have applied for porting) in the first field. Be sure that you are entering the correct number.
- In the second field, enter the UPC code that you received as SMS. Ensure that it is accurate.
- Re-enter the same UPC code in the third field. This is necessary because re-entering the code dramatically reduces the chances of providing incorrect input.
- Finally, in the fourth field, you need to enter the numeric captcha image that you see on the right side of the field. There is no way to copy and paste this code as it is in image format. You need to manually type it.
Once all fields are properly and accurately populated, you need to hit the ‘submit’ button and wait for the status to show up. That’s all! There are no more additional steps to follow. You should be able to see the exact status of your MNP request.