Google launches PhotoScan app to help digitize old printed photos; Here are our first impressions
Google has launched an amazing and useful app which will be helpful for preserving old photos’ physical copies in digital copies. The new app from Google is named as ‘PhotoScan’. It is a simple, yet efficient application for your smart phone which helps you out to store your lifetime memories forever. The PhotoScan app not only digitizes your printed photos, but also save them in good quality without cutting out those extra glare which become evident while taking pictures of printed photographs with your phone’s camera. This is the time of digitization and we must adapt ourselves according to that.
It is a simple yet important app for smart phone users. It uses several techniques to provide the best results of image digitalization from your old photos. PhotoScan has been released only in Android and iOS versions by Google. This means, except a little percentage of Windows users, most of the smart phone users can have this amazing small and efficient app. This article will take the readers to the insight of this wonderful app and will point out its pros and cons too.
|Sl. No.||Fields||Related data|
|1||Name of application||PhotoScan|
|4||Average user ratings on Google Play store||4.2 stars|
|5||Supporting OS||Android and iOS|
|6||Time taken for photo processing||4 – 5 seconds|
|8||Social media share||Not available|
User interface of PhotoScan
As earlier said, this app is meant only for converting physical images to digital images by keeping things easy but not compromising on the quality of the photos. So its user interface has been kept very simple and user friendly. It has minimal operating switches and just does what it is made to do. For the first time users of PhotoScan, there is a overall guide of the app on how to use it and capture photos perfectly. You may also choose to skip this step if you do not need the introductory guidance. After this, there is the process of image clicking and processing of the image for the best desired results. PhotoScan supports flash and you can add frames to your photos through this app after capture. There is option of rotation of photos and finally deleting it permanently, without saving. The clicked photos through the PhotoScan app will get saved in Gallery for the Android users and for the iPhone users, they will be saved in the Camera Roll folder.
Image processing and capture process of PhotoScan
The PhotoScan app from Google does a fantastic job in getting great results in digitizing the old printed photographs. Its main principle of photo capture is that it records the old printed photo from four angles. Then PhotoScan break the capture in small blocks and then realigns then on the basis of feature points. This prevents the chances of disorientation and getting a sharp image. PhotoScan takes 5 seconds to process the entire image and show final results after your press the capture button. In these 5 seconds, its main task is also to cut out the entire glare from the photo.
Using the PhotoScan app
For even the lazy users who are not willing to co-operate with the app in keeping the hands still while taking the picture, for them also PhotoScan gives wonderful results. PhotoScan is of the simplest application launched by Google. Google’s main idea of launching most applications is to keep things simple, user friendly and to the point. To take a perfect photo in one shot, you should adjust the camera is such a manner that the photo comes within the frame of the app so that there is not edge crop. In most of the cases, the app will get you the desired results. When the photos are printed on glossy paper, normal camera capture will be filled with glares. And when the photo is printed in a matte paper, the normal digital capture might appear dull. But PhotoScan gets the best out of every image. Only resource required here is sufficient light, otherwise more noise will appear in those photos. The processing time taken by the app to collect all the information, break down the photo, blend the photo and get the output is around 5 seconds.
Pros of PhotosScan app
- The first advantage of having the Google’s PhotoScan is that you get a simple yet powerful interface to use it. It can be used by even elders also, who are not so tech savvy.
- The app guide in the beginning helps the new user to know about the features ands capabilities of the application.
- PhotoScan minimizes the effect to slight shake of hands while capturing picture, thus reducing the chance of getting distorted blurry image.
- Removes the extra glare that comes when you click the picture of a old photo printed on a glossy paper.
- Comes with a feedback option where users can send reviews of the application to the Google team for its better improvement.
- Smart rotation of photos, if you need it.
Cons of PhotoScan app
- App not available for the Windows phone users.
- No option of photo filters for editing which is common in most other photo apps. So you need another app for editing your photo and add filters.
- Direct sharing of photo from the app is not there. This feature is available with most of the photo applications. When ever, you need to share your photos to Facebook or Twitter, you need to share it separately.
- Falls short in low light conditions and do not give the desired outputs.
It is a basic app, anyone can have for digitizing your photos. It consumes less memory and performs what it is meant for. Despite of its few shortcomings, it is a must have for everyone. It very important to preserve the old photos in digital format and secure them from any physical damage or any loss.
- No Tax for rs 2.5 Lakhs Cash Deposit of old 500 and 1000 Notes
- Smartphone batteries are producing more than 100 types of toxic gases
- e challan Hyd Details