Goat farming (Pashu Palan) – Its advantages and disadvantages
Goat farming is a major and a booming dairy business in not only India, but also in several other countries all over the world. Goat farming is a profitable business, but it has its own perks. It needs day to day attention and the owner or caretaker should be committed to look after the goats. Goats can be maintained cheaply with respect to other animals as they feed on grass, crop remains, any king of leaves, etc. which is easily available. Goats are easily adjustable with other dairy animals. So if someone wants to do goat farming along with cow or buffalo farming, he can easily do that as those diary animals will co-exist together nicely.
There are various aims for goat farming. One can use goat farming for meat. Goat meat is always high in demand in any market. It is the most eaten meat only after chicken. Almost all meat eating households and restaurants have goat meat in their food habits. Market rice is also very high up to Rs. 450- 500 per kg. So if the farmer wants to produce their goats for meat, they need to invest in faster growing goats with more meat content. Also their food content should be more of fat, protein and starch rich. Again another use of goat farming is for milk. Goat milk is very costly as it has high medicinal values. It helps in curing metabolic diseases in humans. The goat milk is very nourishing and good for infants. So proper care and hygiene is to be maintained at the goat farm and high milk yielding goats are to be farmed in the husbandry.
There are various goat breeds available. But for goat farming, one should be very sure about choosing the right goat breed. Goat meat and milk always has a high market value. During festive seasons, goat meat prices steep sharply. But despite all of these, goat farming has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Goat Farming Advantages
- Goats are one of the strongest dairy animals. They do not need medical care always to be fit and healthy. They are less prone to sickness. This is a point cause not to worry about as in poultry farming or horse farming or even cow husbandries, proper medical care is to be taken and no negligence is allowed.
- Goats are adaptive to all climatic conditions. They can survive in extreme heat or chilling cold. They are comfortable living in rainy areas, deserts, mountains, plains, etc.
- If taken proper care, goats give birth twice a year. This is a major advantage in increasing the business.
- Goats do not need much arrangements for their food. They can easily survive on plant leaves, grass, crop remains, etc.
- Goat meat always has a great market in India as well as abroad. Almost every meat eater eats mutton. So one can always expect great price for their raised goats.
- Goat milk has got great medicinal values. It is very good for infants as it has high nutritional values.
- Now you ask for Mudra Loan for Pashu Palan in your nearest bank.
Goat Farming Disadvantages
- Goat are considered a major risk for crops in agriculture. Goats must be kept away from gardens and farmlands otherwise they will eat up everything and destroy the agriculture.
- Goats are to be taken to grazing. But during grazing, they have a nature of breaking free and get scattered from the herd. Keeping them together in a herd is a major challenge.
- Cities and urban areas are not very suitable for goat farming. They need plant leaves to be fed and need grazing which is very difficult in the cities.
- Goats are vulnerable to get theft. Thieves always steal goats from the goat farms as they are highly valuable.
- Goats are also at risk of getting attacked by wild animals like leopard, foxes, etc. So they must be given good protection from wild animals.
So is goats are taken proper care of, goat farming will give good return for your time, effort and money.
- How to save tax on foreign assets
- what is identity theft
- How does twitter makes money
- What is Leverage ratio
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Bihar Student Credit Card Loan Scheme | How to Apply | Application Form - October 7, 2016
- Top 5 Places to Avoid Using or Swiping Your Debit Card - October 3, 2016
- Akbar the Great TV Old Doordarshan Serial - September 24, 2016