The new e-Challan system launched by Uttar Pradesh Government (UP)
It cannot be denied that a huge number of people are issued with traffic violation cases and numerous other petty cases in daily life. And paper challans are given to the violators by the law and order maintenance personnel. To reduce the huge usage of paper challans regularly, a complete new procedure has been incorporated by the government of Uttar Pradesh. This system is known as e-Challan. With the focus of the present government towards a digital India, this is one of the new systems introduced in the regular Challan process. Once the paper Challan is issued to the violator, it becomes really difficult to retrieve the information regarding the incident in which the Challan was given.
Work efficiency enhancement
- The primary objective of E-Challan is to bring a transparency and also speed up the process of recovering the penalty cases for the violation of traffic rules. But one important feature is this mobile application has been introduced for the transport department but not for the traffic cops. With the utilization of E-Challan, the work efficiency of traffic control department shall be eased out to a considerable extent.
- Another important beneficial factor that the e-Challan is going to bring is the number of overcharging penalties shall be reduced. It is a fact that, over-charging of penalties (read here “a form of taking money illegally through a legal process”) is one of the most common corruptions that take place in India and it has been gradually increasing day by day. With the introduction of e-Challan, there will be a check on this corruption process.
- The Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Akhilesh Yadav shall launch the e-Challan system in Lucknow. First it shall be launched on Ghaziabad, Noida and Lucknow. After observing the effectiveness of the e-Challan system, it will be continued on other districts.
The features of e-Challan process
Apart from bringing a transparency within the Challan issuance and payment of penalty, there are certain features of the e-Challan process that we need to know.
- Within this process, tablets shall be given to the 114 Assistant Regional transport Officers, and also the 102 passenger Tax Officers throughout the state. These officials shall need to download the mobile application within the tab and it should be carried every day.
- When these officials intercept a person who has violated any traffic regulation, the vehicle’s registration number, driving license of the individual and personal details shall be noted within the app. The e-Challan app is connected with NIC database. And the database comprises of all the details for registered vehicles.
- The next step is, the official shall cross check all the details attained from the violator, get the list of all the rules and the amount of penalty that shall be charged to the violator. All the official need to do is, put the codes for the rules that has been violated and the app shall automatically calculate the amount that will be penalized.
- The tablet remains connected to another small mobile printer which will print the copy of Challan along with the details of rule violated and amount penalized. In case the individual is not able to pay in cash on spot, he/she can pay through debit card or later in an RTO office or court.
The benefits of e-Challan
- With the introduction of e-Challan, there has been the reduction of immense paper intensive and highly manual procedure which led to the frustration of stakeholders due to no collection of timely Challan payments.
- This responds to the community’s need for enhanced traffic and road safety procedures. The e-Challan has also reduced the budgetary constraints and with the technological advancement in Challan procedure the core responsibilities and delivery process has been enhanced.
- The tablet given to officials can also retrieve the information regarding the previous offenses committed by same individuals from the database depending on the registration number of the vehicle and driver’s license details.
- The device is also capable of acting as a receiving station for payments generated by another device from another station. The officials can know whether any notice has been generated for a vehicle. And this feature helps to know whether this vehicle has been stolen by an individual or any accidental history is recorded within the database in the name of that particular individual.
A tabular overview of different factors of e-Challan
|SL No||The features of Challan||Brief description|
|1.||Work efficiency increment||It brings a transparency and speeds up the process for knowing the details about the traffic violation cases.
The number of overcharging has been reduced to a great extent, which in turn, leads to the reduction of corruption cases.
|2.||The technical features||The tablet given to officials will be downloaded with the e-Challan application. When a violator is caught, the vehicle registration number, driving license details and personal information of the individual needs to be provided within the app. That information reaches NIC database in an instant and all the previous accidents, incomplete challans and any other traffic rule violation case made by that individual shall be notified to the official in detail. A small mobile printer is also connected to give instant challans to the violators.|
|3.||The benefits||Reduction of manual paper works.
Enhanced alertness among individuals, thus increasing road safety.
Helps to identify any vehicle which has been stolen from certain location.