Deactivating the Automated Traffic Helper of iOS9
Let’s play the honesty card for a while. We all absolutely hate companies that intrude on our privacy in one form or other. It sucks big time! This is undeniably true in case of smartphones. Microsoft leads the bandwagon and yes, Android and Apple are not far behind.
For iPhone users, the iOS9 has brought in a feature which is known as Automated Traffic Helper. It essentially looks cool and gives automated notifications about traffic and the estimated time it will take to reach your destination. This is kind of a handy feature but… YES, A BIG BUT!
The problem is that it comes to know your exact location every single time you are on road or even when you are about to enter your car and shows a popup notification about the traffic. This happens even when you have not manually evoked the app to do so.
Isn’t that suspicious to you? Don’t you ask the question, “How the hell did this app come to know what I am up to even when I have not asked it to provide any assistance?”
This is what we call spying! This Automated Traffic Helper is designed to work in the background even when you are not using it. The app in action is actually the Maps App, which used the Frequent Locations feature that has been developed in iOS9’s neural network.
So, how does it work?
Here is what it really happens:
- The Frequent Locations feature of iOS9 uses satellite to know the exact places you visit and the frequency of those visits. It also maps the frequent destinations and routes you take.
- Based on this information, the feature uses an algorithm to guess the destination from your current location.
- This guess is then fed to the Maps app and voila! The Maps app then spits out these scary notifications that Apples has named as ‘predictive traffic routing’.
Isn’t this spying? Why the hell will Apple use satellite to get your exact location every single moment? This is always and always annoying especially in the wake of the news the US-based secret service agencies are spying on every single individual and they are tapping in large corporations to do so!
So, we get it! You are now angry and you want to get rid of this Frequent Locations feature of iOS9. Here is how you do it:
Steps to turn of Automated Traffic Helper for iOS9
- Head for the settings of your phone. For this, tap on the icon for Settings.
- Once the settings options open up, look for the Privacy option and tap on it.
- Another menu will open up. Find the option which reads ‘Frequent Locations’. It will be towards the bottom of the menu.
- This option has a toggle option. Tap on it and turn it off!
Well, that’s it! You will turn off the annoying options. However, there is one downside to this. Once you turn it off, iPhone will also stop reminding you off the activities you need to take care of once you reach a particular location.
We can actually live with that! We can get a reminder app from the store and set proper reminders and thereby bypass the spying. There will still be a shortcoming because these reminder apps do not work with locations.
That’s our thought! We think Automated Traffic Helper is annoying. You may think different. You may be okay with companies tracking our movements. Do let us know what you think about this feature.
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Aadhar Payments App (BHIM) Download and Other Info - January 6, 2017
- 7 Nischay Arthik Hal Yuwaon Bal - January 4, 2017
- A brief about CM Startup Scheme in Himachal Pradesh - December 31, 2016