Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana (BBBP) has come into existence due to sharp decline in the number of females per thousand males is a matter of chief concern in recent decade. The percentage of sex selective abortion is on increase that has led to sharp decrease in the number of females in certain states of India.
Since 1991, the increased use of ultrasound to monitor pregnancy has lead to easy determination of sex of the child. Because of the concern about the dowry that has to be given during girl’s marriage in Indian society, people are going for the abortion of the female fetus.
BBBP Yojana or save the girl child is a new scheme introduced to reduce this gender selective fetus killing. It is the fourth major initiative taken by central government after Jandhanyojna, Swach Bharat abhiyaan and Make in India. It is aimed to generate awareness in the masses regarding safety and education of girl children. INR 100 crores has been granted for this scheme under union budget 2014. This yojana is brought to sensitize citizens of India about concerns of female child and women.
Under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana scheme following is done
- Organizing rallies and poster campaigns to generate awareness among masses.
- Television commercials and advertisements will be launched to educate people about girl safety and literacy.
- Inclusion of a chapter of gender mainstreaming in the school curriculum.
- INR 50 crores will be spent on a pilot project about the safety of women in public transport by ministry of road transport and highway. Later the amount will be increased to INR 150 crores that will be applied in large cities by Ministry of home affairs.
- Panic alert button in transport and police that will work through visuals, text message or voice message.
- Crisis management centers will be set up in all parts of Delhi in all government as well as private hospitals. This will be funded by Nirbhaya fund.
- A small saving scheme has also been included in it for the education and marriage of female child. A total amount of 1,4389 crores has been allotted for this purpose only.
This has already been employed in Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. It has reported some success in parts of Gujarat where the number of females is increased from 802 to 882 per 1000 males. This scheme will be employed from January 22,2015 in Haryana also, where it has been announced that a reward of 1 crore rupees will be given to the village that will attain a balanced sex ratio.
You can open an account called Sukanya Samriddhi Account. This bank account is very beneficial for a girl child. This can be opened for any girl less then 10 years of age. The interest offered in sukanya samriddhi account is currently 9.1%. This account is like a PPF account in which you can withdraw the matured amount only after a lock in period. This will help you to save a lot of money for your girl.
There are virtually no drawbacks in this scheme. The only concern is will these kinds of scheme will increase the sex ratio or not. Madhuri Dixit is the Brand Ambassador of this scheme.
BBBP Savings Account.
You might have read this before that you can open a bank account in BBBP Yojana, this account is called Sukanya Samriddhi Account. You can get the detailed information about this account in this url Sukanya Samriddhi Account Details
Other Important Articles
- What is Jan Dhan Yojana
- Process to link your Bank Account to Avail LPG Subsidy
- What is Mudra Bank Yojana
- All Modi Yojana