The benefits of Aadhaar card is not only limited to Indian residents but NRI can also apply for it easily. The Indian parliament has also included a provision of Aadhaar card for NRI or Overseas Indians and People with Indian origin. NRIs are also provided all the benefits associated with this smart identity card.
No online provision for the enrollment is available for Aadhaar card. All the individuals have to report physically in order to get registered. The procedure for enrollment of NRIs is same as that for resident Indians whether the individual is living in USA, Australia, UK, Kuwait or Qatar.
Procedure for Aadhaar Card for NRI:
In case you are a non-resident Indian and you wish to apply for the registration, you have to follow the following steps:
- Since no online provision is available to get registered, you have to come to India first.
- On arriving to India, find the nearest center where you can get enrolled for this unique identification card.
- You can get an appointment online for enrollment of aadhaar card.
- Before going to the respective centers for registration, first make sure that you have taken all the necessary documents and identity proof along with you.
- On reaching the center, you will be asked about your basic details.
- Thereafter both iris and fingers of both hands will be scanned.
- Once all the data has been entered, the details will be reconfirmed. Check for any error.
- You will be provided a slip as a proof of your details recorded. Check for any in-corrections over there.
The address filled during the registration can be of foreign. The contact number provided during the procedure must be an Indian number and should be kept until the procedure related to Aadhaar card is complete.
You can track the status of your aadhaar card online on the website of UIDAI. Your unique identification card will be delivered to you within three months of enrollment and can check the status of post online. If the status of your card suggests completion of the procedure online, you can also go for e-Aadhaar card and can download the card directly from the site. It will be equally valid for the use.
Aadhaar card download is an easy process. All you have to do is to complete an application form online. A one-time password will be generated and you Indian number will be helpful in this case. For downloading the e-card that OTP is entered in the respective field. You will be asked to enter your contact number during this procedure. Once this process is complete, you can take the print out of your smart identity card.
Aadhaar card is gaining lot of importance in India and it will be treated as a most important proof of identity like green card SSN number in USA. Currently LPG subsidy has been linked with aadhaar card and now the subsidized amount will be credited to bank account. Aadhaar card for NRI will also help overseas Indians to have a valid ID proof.
Author of this article is Dr Pallavi Sharma