2KG LPG Bottles to Hit Kirana Stores & New LPG Connection Booking Goes Online
PM Narendra Modi’s Digital India drive is not only gradually taking shape but is also making some impressive maneuvers that are destined to take the ‘transparency talk’ in government services to a whole new horizon. The latest addition to the Digital India program is mylpg.in. So, why is this the buzz word? Let us find out, shall we?
Some of you may probably recall the aberration of long queues and then that cynical arm spreading out from under the table asking for money in order to provide you your right of enjoying an LPG connection. Well, that practice of asking for bribes will no longer be there. From now, you will have to pay exactly the amount you need to for a new LPG connection. Not a penny more and not a penny less!
The mylpg.in is a new online portal that will allow you to book a new LPG connection by ditching the long queues and bribe-hungry officials who have for long, been denying services to general people unless their pockets are filled with money they don’t deserve.
All you need to do is hook up your internet connection with your computer, go online on the said portal and apply for a new connection from the comfort of your home.
Dharmendra Pradhan – Union Oil Minister explained:
- Once a new connection is booked online, a verification will be done within 48 hours.
- The LPG agency nearest to the applicant’s home will deliver and install a new LPG connection within a time frame of 3 to 4 working days.
- There are provisions for paying the charges for new LPG connection using online interface of the portal.
- Paying online will allow users to pay the exact amount – not a penny more.
- All money collected through online transactions will be accounted for and thereby effectively eliminate the bribe culture prevalent in LPG distribution network throughout the country.
- An added advantage will be that this streamlined process will save enormous amounts of time for the consumers.
Currently, MyLPG.in is serving only a few selected cities which include Pune, Patna, Hyderabad, Chennai, Lucknow, Kolkata, Chandigarh, Delhi, Bhubaneswar, Bengaluru, Bhopal and Ahmedabad. Rest of the Indian cities will be included with a few days. Let us not be too optimistic about the remaining coverage and safely assume that rest of India will be included within next month.
A little bit more about MyLPG.in
We cannot deny that the blueprint of the new portal and its designated duties look pretty fascinating. We can only hope that it works the way it is intended to. Apart from the aforementioned benefits, here are some other features that can be availed through the portal:
- PAHAL integration: In case you want get access to the government subsidized rates, you need not hunt around for the perfect place to do so. All you have to do is apply for PAHAL directly from this portal.
- Give It Up Initiative: We are kind of skeptical about this but yes, PM Modi did make an appeal to the well-off classes of India to give up government subsidy for LPG so that the more and more of poor class can be covered under the PAHAL scheme. In case you are a Samaritan, you can do exactly that by clicking on the Give It Up link made visible on the very top of the website. Why are we skeptical? Let us be honest. As far as our observations are concerned, Indians (most of them, specially the rich class) have this knack of suppressing the poor. Well, not just India… this is the sad story of whole world.
Precisely how does the MyLPG portal works?
It is pretty simple! The portal has an intelligent system working at the backend. Once a new application is submitted through the system, an automatic mechanism is triggered and the nearest dealer is combed out from the database. The dealer is then notified about the application and the applicant’s details are sent to the dealer. A new customer ID is generated which is in turn sent to the user through email and SMS. This customer ID will be sent in 48 hours from the date and time of application. After receiving the customer ID, the consumer will have to pay for the new connection and this can be done directly from the online interface. Once the payment is made, the portal’s backend system will run a background check to ensure that no duplicate application is being processed. Once that is completed, it will take another 3-4 days for the nearest dealer to set up the new connection. As part of the connection, the consumer will get a rubber pipe, a cylinder and a regulator. The oven is of course not a part of the new connection and the consumer needs to purchase that separately from the market.
Is the government maintaining the MyLPG portal?
Though you will see the Indian National Emblem showing up at the corner, don’t be deceived. MyLPG portal is yet another addition to the Digital India drive apart from services like e-sign, Bharatnet, eBasta, DigiLocker etc., the MyLPG.in portal is actually run and maintained by all the oil marketing companies in India. More like a joint venture!
What is this 2KG LPG bottle thing?
Let us be clear. This has nothing to do with online LPG connection portal. Minister Dharmendra Pradhan clarified that the ‘2KG LPG bottle’ is a concept that the government is thinking to introduce to help the poorest of the poor in India. 14.2 KG cylinders are expensive and that’s why the 5 KG cylinders were introduced back in 2013. It turned out that for the poorest segments of Indian economy, 5 KG cylinders are also quite expensive and they really cannot afford it. So, a small version will be made available in form of small bottles filled with 2KG of LPG. It is not that the new smaller package will be underpriced but the smaller package comes with a smaller price tag which will be well within the budget of the poor people. In order to make these small LPG bottles available to the target section of the economy, the government is aiming to use the Kirana stores. People usually visit those stores for their day-to-day needs and they can easily buy these 2KG LPG bottles from those stores just like their daily grocery requirements.
Latest posts by Pavan (see all)
- Bihar Student Credit Card Loan Scheme | How to Apply | Application Form - October 7, 2016
- Top 5 Places to Avoid Using or Swiping Your Debit Card - October 3, 2016
- Akbar the Great TV Old Doordarshan Serial - September 24, 2016